Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] MAIN MAST CORROSION [3 Attachments]

Stephen Davis

Hi Alex,

It appears to be caused by corrosion at the base of the mast, and it appears serious. The only solution I know of is to pull the mast, and cut the corroded section out, which will shorten the mast a little. You will need a good rigger to figure out if he can compensate for the shortened mast with your existing rigging, or possibly have to put new rigging on the boat. Leaving it as is, you risk the base of the mast collapsing, and potentially causing a loss of the rig. I'm no expert, so seek professional advice from a good rigger.

Best of luck getting it figured out.

Regards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Santa Marta, Columbia

Steve Davis
S/V Aloha

On Oct 18, 2017, at 4:31 PM, alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a question, I am attaching 3 images of the foot of the main mast on our older Super Maramu. It is manufactured by ISOMAT. It has never been removed. Any idea why this happened and what is the remedy if any. Should we worry about this situation?

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Older Maramu, Hull#94, 1981