From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:26 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker bottoms...

James,

How do you lay out 100 meters of anchor chain on deck for rinsing and drying without beating the deck all to hell?  I haven't ever figured out a way to do that.

When I had a local fiberglass guy look at my anchor lockers to give a quote for the repair, the FIRST thing he wanted to do was add overboard drain holes to the lockers--which Super Maramus do not have.

I explained that on an Amel, if there is significant amounts of water coming into those lockers, something is wrong. Fix the problem (stop the water leaking in) rather than trying to fix the symptom (draining the water).  In a properly maintained bow locker on a Super Maramu, more water will come IN from an external drain than from any other source.

That doesn't mean the locker will be bone dry. Putting salty wet sails and lines in there will create a swamp-like environment, that's a different problem.  Keeping stuff as unsalty and as dry as possible is always a good thing--and much more challenging on a cruising boat than on a boat with a home port.

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

Leaving for warm climes in a few days.