Amel Stainless Steel Anchor Shank Bend

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Folks:

On a recent bit of sailing in Barbuda, West Indies, we were anchored overnight in a bit of a
windy anchorage (about 25 knots, gusts to 30 knots). We were anchored in a sand bottom as
far as we know and the boat would sail about somewhat as is customary. We had a nylon
anchor snubber in place. Upon weighing anchor (the anchor broke out with the normal
amount of resistance) we found the bent anchor shank depicted in the photo that I have
posted in the photo's section.

Has anybody else had this problem? I have delivered the anchor to a shop in Antigua that
says they can straighten the shank in their hydraulic press. I am concerned about work
hardening of the metal from the bending forces. Anybody have thoughts about the
advisability of straightening the shaft. The shank is welded in place so replacement would be
a major undertaking. There is no deformation of the blade of the anchor.

Regards, Gary Silver s/v Liahona Amel SM2000 Hull # 335