Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel Stainless Steel Anchor Shank Bend

dlm48@...

YEP WE managed that on Bill and Judy's SM200 just off the entrance to the
Moorings base in Road Town Tortola - they had it straightened no problem - i am
sure Judy or Bill will post and give you chapter and verse on the repair. It
would appear to my engineering brain that the shank need to be upsized
considerably as it cant handle the load that the flukes can generate with an SM200
leaping about in a boisterous anchorage

regards

David

no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

Hi Folks:

On a recent bit of sailing in Barbuda, West Indies, we were anchored
overnight in a bit of a
windy anchorage (about 25 knots, gusts to 30 knots). We were anchored in a
sand bottom as
far as we know and the boat would sail about somewhat as is customary. We
had a nylon
anchor snubber in place. Upon weighing anchor (the anchor broke out with the
normal
amount of resistance) we found the bent anchor shank depicted in the photo
that I have
posted in the photo's section.

Has anybody else had this problem? I have delivered the anchor to a shop in
Antigua that
says they can straighten the shank in their hydraulic press. I am concerned
about work
hardening of the metal from the bending forces. Anybody have thoughts about
the
advisability of straightening the shaft. The shank is welded in place so
replacement would be
a major undertaking. There is no deformation of the blade of the anchor.

Regards, Gary Silver s/v Liahona Amel SM2000 Hull # 335