Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel Stainless Steel Anchor Shank Bend

dlm48@...

I think turning the shank into an I-beam will solve this 'issue' without any
need to add more material to the shank.

Stainless Steel is more malleable than cast steel so will bend - as you and
others have discovered - i dont think this is a 'strength' issue - it is
just that 'the flat' SS shank will bend before it manages to reset the anchor
flukes.

IF you look at a CQR for instance you will see a cast/forged I-beam.

Your modification to create the SS I-beam shank will stop it bending
'certainly not at the same loads' so the anchor will turn and reset in line with
the new direction of pull.

regards

David

In a message dated 17/02/2008 15:46:25 GMT Standard Time, mseidel@ec.rr.com
writes:

I read with interest the anchor shank bending. SM349 's shank bent 90
degrees this summer anchored in four foot plus seas starting a race for our
organization. It took a 30 ton press to straighten it, then we welded top and bottom
SS plates to make a new I-beam on top of the old and thicked the areas
between the top and bottom plates on both sides. I been sailing for 40 myears and
never seen that happen. Makes you wonder about the anchor strength?. Do I
need to trash the anchor despite the welding? Any thoughts?
Sundance sm 349 Murray Seidel.