Re: Need diesel tank access

eamonn.washington@...

I will again suggest that he takes some safety precautions, such as the suggestions here (dry ice, N2, CO2).

There is no room at the top of the tank to make inspection hatches (only possible if the tank is out of the boat).  So he will make 2 wide inspection hatches both of which overlap 2 compartments by 20cm each, thus giving access to all 4 compartments.  These will be near the top of the tank facing but above the engine.  He says he has cut diesel tanks many times, no explosion risk from diesel, but he will have a mate watch him the whole time with a fire extinguisher in case of a fire.  I am letting the tank naturally ventilate via the top electric gauge, before he cuts next week.
 Eamonn, Travel Bug sm 151