Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Spade Anchor

greatketch@...

Alex,

Anchors are a very personnel choice for every sailor.  Here is my 2 cents worth...

On Harmonie we have a 40kg Rocna.  We are happy enough we have no plans to change it.  Although we did drag a few nights ago for the first time in a very long time... and the thought crossed my mind!

On my old boat I had a Mantus.  I was very happy with that.

If I had to replace an anchor right now for my Super Maramu I would go with a Mantus 48kg.  I know that's bigger than most people use, and people who know what a weight nazi I can be on the boat might be surprised.  But I can assume you, nobody EVER woke up in the middle of the night worried their anchor was not going to hold because it was too big!  I go with the story that you know your anchor is big enough for long term cruising if people walking down the dock point at it and laugh.

Like I said, a really personnel choice.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Deltaville, VA