Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Distributed vs. Conventional Electrical Systems

svsunnyside

Hi James
As I told you on the prior message, last week I was in Cartagena and I took the opportunity to go on board and revise the bow thruster.
Now I can confirm what I wrote before . 
I do not know if the Santorin #96 of Ian was built in the same year of ours Maramu , but according to the increment of power and torque I suppose it is a later edition . 
My bow truster motor label shows  :
Motor Leroy-Somer , Type TF12 ,  #642249/5  ,  excitation in serie  ,  2700 rpm  ,  4.2 kW  ,  1.5mkg  ,  IP20 protection  ,  S2.20SE duty  ,  Rotor/inductor 12 V  530A  ,  F class
In my opinion  530 A is a start-up pick current .     In January , when I will be again on board, I will measure with the clamp meter the Amps absorbed at the different conditions. Also using cables 3/0 (85mm2) from the main switches to the the distribution box and 1/0 (50mm2) from there to the motor, due to the drooping voltage of the 12 V system, I think it cannot absorb more than 350 A . It will be interesting to know the size of cables used on a 24 V bowthruster.

I noted also the following info that you may be interested to know:
 - Bearings:  power shaft side 6005 2RS 25x47x12 mm (ID- OD- W)
                   commutator side 6201 2RS 12x32x10 mm    
 - Inside the holding brush flange there is an occult connection for the opposite brush.
 - A2 feed 1st and 3rd brushes
 - A1        2nd      4th
 - D1 & D2 feed opposite sides of 4 stator windings
 - At the motor teminals posts arrive 4  #1/0 cables (50mm2) ,3 from solenoids (A1, D1, D2) and 1 direct (A2=negative).
 - Electrical measurement on the feeding cables A1, D1, D2, A2, disconnected from the motor posts shows :
1) no excitation at the solenoids -  V=0 at A1, D1, D2, but in short by them
2) switch ON , joy stick to LEFT -   12V only on D2,   short between A1, & D1 
3) switch ON , joy stick to RIGHT-  12V only on D1,   short between A1, & D2

Sorry for my English mixing Spanglish & Itañol

best regards
Gabriele 
S/V Sunny Side
Maramu #219  1987
Todomar yard Cartagena
San Blas Jan.-April

To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Thursday, 19 October 2017, 12:55
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Distributed vs. Conventional Electrical Systems

Ian,

Many thanks for that bit of information.  My Maramu has a 100 amp breaker for the bow thruster and the Genoa furler.  Does the Santorin also have a breaker and if so can you tell me the amperage rating?   If not, do you know the wattage rating of the motor?   My current thruster is fantastic and I am in no rush to change anything, but if there is a simple and proven option to increase the power such as a motor changeout, I would like to make that upgrade in the future.

I finally got to see a Santorin up close this season, two actually.  Very nice boats, congratulations.  I also appreciate the fact that my Maramu is not as complex as the SM and for the wife and I 46’ is a nice size that we can easily handle.  Both are wonderful boats I think but fewer moving parts to break means I get to spend more time outside of the bilge and the engine room.  (grin)

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
On Oct 19, 2017, at 8:49 AM, Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James
The Santorin is 12v throughout. Much easier for my simple knowledge of electrical systems! But I believe the bow thruster is the same as the SM apart from the motor. Being smaller and lighter it won’t need the higher wattage.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 ashore Clarke’s Court, Grenada.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.