Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Distributed vs. Conventional Electrical Systems

svsunnyside

Hi James
As I told you on the prior message, last week I was in Cartagena and I took the opportunity to go on board and revise the bow thruster.
Now I can confirm what I wrote before .
I do not know if the Santorin #96 of Ian was built in the same year of ours Maramu , but according to the increment of power and torque I suppose it is a later edition .
My bow truster motor label shows  :
Motor Leroy-Somer , Type TF12 ,  #642249/5  ,  excitation in serie  ,  2700 rpm  ,  4.2 kW  ,  1.5mkg  ,  IP20 protection  ,  S2.20SE duty  ,  Rotor/inductor 12 V  530A  ,  F class
In my opinion  530 A is a start-up pick current .     In January , when I will be again on board, I will measure with the clamp meter the Amps absorbed at the different conditions. Also using cables 3/0 (85mm2) from the main switches to the the distribution box and 1/0 (50mm2) from there to the motor, due to the drooping voltage of the 12 V system, I think it cannot absorb more than 350 A . It will be interesting to know the size of cables used on a 24 V bowthruster.

 I noted also the following info that you may be interested to know:
 - Bearings:  power shaft side 6005 2RS 25x47x12 mm (ID- OD- W)
                   commutator side 6201 2RS 12x32x10 mm
 - Inside the holding brush flange there is an occult connection for the opposite brush.
 - A2 feed 1st and 3rd brushes
 - A1        2nd      4th
 - D1 & D2 feed opposite sides of 4 stator windings
 - At the motor teminals posts arrive 4  #1/0 cables (50mm2) ,3 from solenoids (A1, D1, D2) and 1 direct (A2=negative).
 - Electrical measurement on the feeding cables A1, D1, D2, A2, disconnected from the motor posts shows :
1) no excitation at the solenoids -  V=0 at A1, D1, D2, but in short by them
2) switch ON , joy stick to LEFT -   12V only on D2,   short between A1, & D1
3) switch ON , joy stick to RIGHT-  12V only on D1,   short between A1, & D2

Sorry for my English mixing Spanglish & Itañol

best regards
Gabriele
S/V Sunny Side
Maramu #219  1987