Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel Stainless Steel Anchor Shank Bend

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

Hello Gary and all,

Yes, we experienced a bent shaft on a stainless steel WASI anchor. We
had been at anchor for several hours in 15 - 20kts and 4 foot seas.
When we hauled the anchor, it came up as usual except for a 30 degree
bend in the shaft.

I contacted WASI and was told that bent shafts have been reported to
them but that the frequency was very slight (please see the WASI email
recommending the repair following).

I asked them about creating an I Beam by welding plates to the top and
bottom of the shaft. They responded that heating the stainless shaft
would weaken it. They suggested that I take the shaft to a auto body
shop which would have a cold press heavy enough to press the shaft to
straighten it. We did this in Tortola and all has been fine for
almost 2 years.

Regards,

Bill

<<<<<The following email is from WASI>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Following is my advise to straighten your bent anchor shaft:
I recommend that you take it to a body or machine shop in Road Town or
in St. Thomas which has a hydraulic box frame press. Usually these
devices are driven by hydraulic jacks of sizes 1 ton and larger.

Most important: By no means use -whoever is doing the straightening-
any heat in the process. The damage has been caused by cold forming
and it should be bend back by cold forming. Applying heat to Stainless
Steel will definitely change the molecular structure of the alloy,
with a number of negative effects and results.

Having said that, and looking at the considerable bend in the anchor
shaft, it will take a person with average to above average skills and
experience in cold bending to do the job - not to be undertaken by an
apprentice or amateur.

The critical part of the cold reshaping process is applying the force
at the correct points (fulcrum of arc bend) which requires a bit of
precision and of course the necessary experience...choose the shop
with that in mind. It should take 2 people not much more than 15
minutes and will have absolutely NO negative effects on the structural
integrity of the anchor....provided it is done in the proper manner.
We do not recommend adding any reinforcement anywhere along the shaft.
Any considerable side force will bend the shaft any which way and the
reinforcement will then just move that bending point to another spot,
possibly compounding the complexity of a bend.

If you have any further questions or need advise please contact me
directly, even by phone.

Fair winds

Ari Grimm

WASI