phased electronics replacement

Duane Siegfri

The recent failure of the masthead unit for the Hydra 2000 ($1,000 replacement cost since I killed it trying to free the bearings) has gotten me to thinking about a phased replacement of the electronics.  Right now all is well, but I do like the features found in the current generation of gizmo's.

The Hydra 2000 system, as far as I can tell, is not connected to the Furuno chartplotters or the Raymarine S3G Autohelm.  I know Bill R has done some significant work to Bebe to make that happen, but that's not the case on my boat.

So, it seems I could replace the Chartplotter/Radar/Gyro combo without effecting either the Hydra 2000 or the Raymarine Autohelm IN THE SHORT TERM.

Since the Hydra 2000 is NMEA 0183, it could be plugged into a new NMEA 2000 Chartplotter, if I were to go that route.  Since the S3G is old, and uses Seatalk, I don't know if it could be connected to a NMEA 2000 bus.

If the sounder fails (which seems to be a common occurrence), and I have the new Chartplotter installed, it would be simple to connect a new forward scanning sonar transducer into it.

I'm thinking of this since I've already put about $2,500 into the current system and like a car with 130,000 miles on it I don't want to keep putting money into it if the failures are going to accelerate.  Has anyone tried a "phased approach"?

Any luck connecting the Raymarine S3G to NMEA 2000?

Thanks,

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477