Re: Problems hooking up new Bamar EJF 1.0 to new Boxtron E14s Any help

Bob Hodgins <bobh@...>

Porter,
I am sorry for the delay in responding. I did replace my Boxtron controllers with the new E14, and I had to figure it out myself. I still have the older belt drive furlers that are working fine, so I can not be certain about the new furlers, but the E14 is likely the same. What I found by studying the wiring diagrams is that the original design of the switches at the helm, for turning on the Boxtron controllers, provides 24 volt power to the Boxtron. The new E14 does not need power, you just need to make contact between two terminals. I am not currently on the boat, so I can not tell you the terminal numbers, but it should be apparent when you look at the box, or at the wiring diagram. I do remember that there are three terminals in the E14, the center one, and two adjacent ones. shorting (or connecting) the center to either side runs the unit one direction and the other. To solve the problem, I installed a small relay right inside the E14. (or maybe it was 2 relays) I had spares on board of the little relays that are used in the bow thruster up/down circuit. I connected the 24v power from the helm switch to close the relay, and connected the E14 terminals to the contacts of the relay. It was a simple fix and if you are using an experienced marine electrician he should of been able to sort that for you. I will be back aboard Gallivant next week, and could provide you with more detailed info if needed.
Bob Hodgins
Gallivant
Amel 54 #31