Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox Differences

James Cromie

What is the consensus of others, then, regarding using gear oil versus grease for the furlor and outhaul gearboxes?
Indeed, it would seem that gear oil would be the appropriate lubrication, but I look to those smarter than me…

James

On Nov 9, 2017, at 10:47 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

If you are going to disassemble the gearbox, why not just fill it with SAE90 oil?

That will do a much better job of keeping the gears lubricated than grease.
Grease tends to get thrown off gears as they turn and doesn't stay where the gears are meshed, which is what you really want to lubricate.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
On the hard, raising the waterline