Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Problems hooking up new Bamar EJF 1.0 to new Boxtron E14s Any help

Porter McRoberts

Bob,

Thank you very much for the thoughtful follow up.
i did get it sorted out.  Essentially doing what you suggested.
The genoa-Foc switch at the helm runs through the thermal cut off switch in the motor.  This is quite different from the trinket: we simply bypassed the thermal cutoff.
There is such minimal load there anyway.

They are working now: fast, quiet, and the biggest change: reliable.

Thanks again!

Porter

Porter McRoberts
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Ft. Lauderdale
www.fouribis.com
portermcroberts@...

On Nov 9, 2017, at 5:33 PM, Bob Hodgins bobh@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Porter,
I am sorry for the delay in responding. I did replace my Boxtron
controllers with the new E14, and I had to figure it out myself. I still
have the older belt drive furlers that are working fine, so I can not be
certain about the new furlers, but the E14 is likely the same. What I
found by studying the wiring diagrams is that the original design of the
switches at the helm, for turning on the Boxtron controllers, provides
24 volt power to the Boxtron. The new E14 does not need power, you just
need to make contact between two terminals. I am not currently on the
boat, so I can not tell you the terminal numbers, but it should be
apparent when you look at the box, or at the wiring diagram. I do
remember that there are three terminals in the E14, the center one, and
two adjacent ones. shorting (or connecting) the center to either side
runs the unit one direction and the other. To solve the problem, I
installed a small relay right inside the E14. (or maybe it was 2 relays)
I had spares on board of the little relays that are used in the bow
thruster up/down circuit. I connected the 24v power from the helm switch
to close the relay, and connected the E14 terminals to the contacts of
the relay. It was a simple fix and if you are using an experienced
marine electrician he should of been able to sort that for you. I will
be back aboard Gallivant next week, and could provide you with more
detailed info if needed.
Bob Hodgins
Gallivant
Amel 54 #31