Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Duo 60 Desallator pressure problem

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi,

We had the same when driving with the 24 volt. Caused by the sprag bearing/clutch in the pulley that allows it to free wheel when the 220 volt motor is being used. The drive in the clutch was beginning to fail. It was associated with some abnormal noise too. This bearing is pressed into the pulley.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 11 November 2017 at 09:02 "webercardio webercardio@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Same problem running the watermaker on 24 voltage and 220 Volt?

Von: "sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Datum: 10.11.17 19:10 (GMT+01:00)
An: amelyachtowners@...
Betreff: [Amel Yacht Owners] Duo 60 Desallator pressure problem

I'm having an issue with the watermaker where the pressure becomes erratic after running normally for 15 to 90 minutes.  You could watch a video of the pressure dial here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63wu632zckpu9u1/AAB2tVJwzWvCiczr2W_oWvoza?dl=0

First I'm wondering if anyone else has had this trouble?

The things I've done to try to solve the problem include: replacing the prefilter, cleaning the seachest, checking seawater supply by disconnecting the hose from the watermaker into a bucket, checking connections in case it was sucking air on the supply side.  None of these indicated a problem.

Since the pump motors are constant speed motors, the pressure must be regulated by a "dump valve" on the back of the control panel, which is what the pressure dial must be adjusting.  So the brine line is attached to the dump valve, and it regulates how much pressure is relieved to the waste line which controls the pressure in the membranes.  Has anyone had to replace this valve?  I would expect all the other Desallators operate in a similar fashion.

The other possibility that has occurred to me is there must be a logic board involved to monitor the pressure and will perform an auto shut down (opens the dump valve) if the pressure goes too high or too low.  It seems logical that the logic board could fail in a way that it sends erratic signals to the dump valve.  Anyone have trouble with that?

I don't have an idea on how to test either of these, or if my understanding of how the system operates is even true.  Any information would be appreciated.

Does anybody have any other possibilities I could look into?

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477