new anchor chain

Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>

Dear Amelians, my original stainless steel anchor chain that came with the boat in 2005 doesn't look good anymore. I want to replace it. Given the position of the anchor chain locker and the inability to access it immediately in case something is stuck, I believe it's a good idea to to buy a stainless steel chain again, given it's characteristic to drop nicely without building up piles.

However, some sailors tell my stainless is a waste of money (because the maybe only real good stainless chain is from Walder in Germany and is VERY expensive and others aren't worth the investiment due to bad quality) and galvanized is the way to go. Can you share your experience?

Also, does any of you know which company was the AMEL OEM for stainless steel chains in 2005?
Thanks as always for your valuable input,
Alex
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54 #15