Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rudder drainage

Craig Briggs

James,
Where is the hole on the top? I haven't found one.

Joel,
Did all the rudders have both bottom and top holes?  It does make sense to allow better flow.

Best,
Craig SN#68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <lokiyawl2@...> wrote :

Graham,

   Joel and Bill have answered your question and I concur that my Maramu has a drain hole at the bottom of the rudder as well.  I would only add that on my Maramu that after hauling the boat, I fill and drain the inside of the rudder with fresh water a couple of times to try and remove most of the salt.  I am careful to insure that the air vent in the top of the rudder is open so that the rudder does not develop internal pressure from filling the rudder with freshwater.   My thoughts are that it is always best to remove salt where possible before storing a boat and thanks to the unique Amel rudder design this is one more place that can be rinsed.   I am curious if other Amel owners do this?

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Nov 17, 2017, at 8:05 AM, Graham Cresswell grahamjcresswell@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I've noticed that on each occasion recently that we have hauled our our
Maramu, water has drained from the bottom of the rudder for a few minutes.

Is this a designed-in feature or do I have a problem?

Kind regards

Graham
SV Jamesby
Maramu #240