Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rudder drainage

James Alton

Joel,

  The hole on the top of my rudder is on the top horizontal face perhaps a couple inches aft of where the rudder post exits.  The hole appears to be about the same size as the one on the bottom of the rudder.  I assume that the top hole must have been done by the factory since there is no evidence that the rudder has ever been removed and I cannot imagine accessing this area to drill a hole otherwise.   I first became aware of the hole when lying in the aft bunk with the boat pitching a bit and hearing a bubbling noise.    From the dock I could see the bubbles coming out of the top hole as the rudder submerged.  (grin)  It is almost impossible to see from the top of the rudder and the hole on my boat since the rudder to hull clearance is so close.   I really like the vented rudder concept as opposed to the more common practice of using a foam core.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Nov 17, 2017, at 12:56 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James,
Where is the hole on the top? I haven't found one.

Joel,
Did all the rudders have both bottom and top holes?  It does make sense to allow better flow.

Best,
Craig SN#68

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Graham,

   Joel and Bill have answered your question and I concur that my Maramu has a drain hole at the bottom of the rudder as well.  I would only add that on my Maramu that after hauling the boat, I fill and drain the inside of the rudder with fresh water a couple of ti mes to try and remove most of the salt.  I am careful to insure that the air vent in the top of the rudder is open so that the rudder does not develop internal pressure from filling the rudder with freshwater.   My thoughts are that it is always best to remove salt where possible before storing a boat and thanks to the unique Amel rudder design this is one more place that can be rinsed.   I am curious if other Amel owners do this?

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Nov 17, 2017, at 8:05 AM, Graham Cresswell grahamjcresswell@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I've noticed that on each occasion recently that we have hauled our ou r
Maramu, water has drained from the bottom of the rudder for a few minutes.

Is this a designed-in feature or do I have a problem?

Kind regards

Graham
SV Jamesby
Maramu #240