Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upwind advice please

Porter McRoberts

No. Hardly an expert. The crossing is different every time. Hence the request from the field of experts. Re Parker. Certainly a guru. I do get his spot forecasts, as already spending the 500 on predict wind which is really quite amazing. 
I appreciate your help Craig, and everyone’s insightful advice. 
Thanks again

On Nov 17, 2017, at 6:02 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Hi Porter,

So I hope you subscribed to Chris Parker's Weather Service - then again, if you've made 12 of these crossings you are probably the uber expert! 

Fair winds,
Craig SN#68

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Craig. Thank you brother!  Cemented the decision. 

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Nov 17, 2017, at 11:49 AM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Hi Porter,

Here is last night's forecast from Chris Parker, the weather guru in this part of the world - check out his website and you can subscribe to his service (that's a free plug for Chris, to make up for inappropriately sharing his info). It does look like there is a motoring window overnight Saturday. And since you will just be a trawler-with-sticky-up-things it won't make much difference if you leave from Lake Worth vs. Ft La-dee-da. Since you're post was marked Ft Lauderdale, just leave from there and save the schlep north to Palm Beach, which will be a nasty ride into that NE wind, anyway.

Since you want to go all the way to the Berry's it seems you'll be at great risk of catching the Sunday afternoon Front while you're still underway. Unless you're on a forced march, you should definitely take Jeff's advice #3 and select the weevil on the right.

Cheers, Craig, SN#68


Travel not recommended thru Fri17 due to NE winds.. W-bound travel gradually improves Sat18 with sailing

N&S ROUTE: NE@15-20g26/7-9' thru overnight; NNE-NE@17-22g28
Sun19 evening-overnight; NE

---In amelyachtowners@..., <jmkraus@...> wrote :

Good Morning Porter,
A couple things, (and I'm making some assumptions):
1. It looks like the wind has been blowing out of the northerd  rather freshly , or a little east of north. Considering the strong northerly push of the gulf stream, it's a recipe for a short steep wind swell, from the north.
If the wind on Saturday is on your nose, and you can't sail her, and have to rely on motoring, you will be in for a very uncomfortable run. 
2. In your boat, the question isn't whether you can do it, but how much of a beating you want to take. Personally, an uncomfortable stretch motoring isn't something I enjoy. 
3. If you have the time, (and what's a day in the life of a sailor?), wait for more favorable conditions (or the lesser of 2 weevils...any O'Brien fans out there?)
4. If your friend wants to go, tell him you'll catch up with him. 
Have fun!
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 01:26 PM, portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:


Hello Amelians,


We are a 54 heading out likely Saturday or Sunday to cross the gulfstream to the Bahamas.  Forecast is 5-6ft waves period 6-7 sec on Sat. and 3-4 feet period 6-7 on Sunday.  Out of the Northeast to east.  With a dying breeze on Sunday.  Weather and seas essentially on the nose.


I write as we have sailed and motored quite a bit upwind over the summer.  It’s hard for me to estimate the exact size of oncoming waves, but the boat slams and it seems were taking green water over the nose with anything around 4 or up.  Unusual? 


The boat’s boot-stripe is about 3-4 inches above waterline on the nose, and 1 inch above water line at the aft.  I’ve tried to move as much weight forward, taking off the air compressor, moving dive-tanks to the port lazarette etc, but I can’t get the nose any lower than above.  (The Nance and Underwood riggers think were trim and just that the bootstripe has been painted in such upward fashion.)


My question to you guys is how comfortable is the 54 and SM going up weather- and most specifically into the waves?  How should I trim for the best trip?


Were crossing with some folks on a new Leopard 45.  (They want to cross Saturday) Who will have the rougher trip given the same (into the seas) conditions?


How would an angle from Palm Beach as opposed to Fort Lauderdale change things for a crossing towards the Berrys?  I’d see a shift to the beam for the waves- but current more on the nose.    Any thoughts?  


I know the boat will handle most anything, and I’ve sailed a good 5000 miles in the last 6 months, but a lot of downwind, and minimal upwind in heavier seas.  I’d be obliged to know your thoughts!


Many thanks—



Porter McRoberts
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Ft. Lauderdale

Join { to automatically receive all group messages.