Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Does my ONAN need a new 12V charger?

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I have a number of thoughts, but my primary thoughts require some questions:
  1. Where are you measuring the battery voltage?
  2. Was the new battery tested before you installed it?
  3. What brand, model, AmpHr and CCA is that starting battery and is it a normal wet cell battery?
  4. Without a load, that battery should have measured about 12.8 - 12.9 volts because a resting fully charged 12 volt battery is around 12.8-12.9 volts, and flat dead ones are at 12.0 volts, so 12.4 volts on a resting battery means it's about 50% charged. Can you account for a discharge while resting?
  5. Have you tested for a amp-drain on the starter battery?
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus