Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Cautionary Turbo Tale

Beaute Olivier

Hello Pat, Jean-Pierre, Duane and all SM and SA owners,

AMEL never installed any air filter on the PERKINS PRIMA and VOLVO TMD, but only an air muffler, in order to reduce the noise at the air intake (which can be as loud as at the exhaust). Then , with the YANMAR 4JH3, an air grate was included by the manufacturer.

For the PERKINS or VOLVO users who would like to install a kind of filter (like a sock or stocking) on the existing air muffler, beware that you will reduce the volume of air going into the cylinders (or turbo). In fact, you should install a piece of metal/plastic that would increase the intake diameter, and then install your sock/grate onto the larger diameter.

My advice: Don't change anything (Bill R may agree...!!) as the chance to get a towel in the air intake is poor (as long as you keep your engine room tidy!!!).
Don't make a Murphy's law of a very rare incident (a paper towel forgotten close to the air intake).

Enjoy motoring (and sailing...)

Olivier

On Friday, November 24, 2017 1:28 PM, "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Duane, No there is no hose from the air cleaner. My air cleaner , if that is what you call it , is a empty vessel with no filter element in it . I don't know if it should have a filter and its missing or what.
Pat
SM#123