Re: Carrying spare rigging ?

greatketch@...

Miles,

Dyneema is the way to go for emergency replacement rigging.  It is stronger than you need, you can carry 100 feet of it in a tiny little space (Unlike wire!)  It doesn't care if it sits in water or even oil. Just throw it in the bilge and forget about it until you need it.  It is ridiculously easy to splice, and it is way stronger than you need.

You do need to do some thinking ahead of time about how you would attach it to the mast, spreaders, and chainplates but you can do some very creative things with homemade soft shackles.  It is very rare that a rigging wire fails in the run of the wire, it almost always the terminal hardware that fails so you can not count on having that to attach to.

Size the dyneema not based on strength (that would be too stretchy) but rather on (approximately) matching the stretch of the SS wire it is replacing.  A rough rule of thumb is two times the diameter of the stainless wire.  These guys have a lot of fittings and know-how on dyneema rigging: http://www.colligomarine.com

My old boat (a 40 foot cruising ketch) actually had an all dyneema rig.  People laughed, it is supposed to be a race boat thing, but getting rid of several hundred pounds of weight up high in the rig made a huge difference in the boat's performance to windward.

I am not sure what you mean when you write, "aft lowers seem to take a lot of working on ocean crossings." If you can see them moving around (working?) then they are MUCH too loose.  In a properly tuned rig some of the tension will come off the leeward wires in a stiff breeze, but if they get loose enough they are moving around, that's a problem.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., <smilesbernard@...> wrote :

Hello there

I'd value this groups thoughts on carrying spare rigging on long journeys - to allow for repairs on passage or in remote locations.

What supplies do you carry ?

My 1985 isomat masted (single spreader) maramu is pretty new to me and I've yet to see the masthead and the rigging terminals up there but the aft lowers have a ball and cup system that then locates into he spreader -to- mast attachment. In my experience aft lowers seem to take a lot of working on ocean crossings I was going to see about sourcing a spare to allow basic at sea repairs.

Anyway it'd be great to hear people's approach!

I wonder people dyneema based options for a 'get me home' jury rig and any mast / turnbuckle attachments these require?

All the best

Miles
Maramu 1985