Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Carrying spare rigging ?

smiles bernard

its just dawned on me that both the terminals in the picture i uploaded would work with Peters suggested option of a wire 'tail' section and a swaged eye fitting plus some bulldog clamps or the dyneema soft shackle option Bill explained

I'll double check whats aloft when i'm next onboard in a few weeks!

All the best

Miles

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 9:49:08 PM GMT, 'smilesbernard@...' smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

thanks all!
yes i have been wondering about the dyneema option. It does seem like a good one
Peter's idea about the wire clamps is a good one - i took this setup with me last time i went long distance but it only really helps with a wire failure at deck level
after crossing the atlantic in my previous old 30fter my brand new aft lower on the windward side had begun to fray but right at the swagged mast fitting to wire junction. So i could not repair it. luckily i carried old rigging spares and had a spare mast swage fitting so a local rigger could make a replacement.

My current rig is from 2012 and was apparently replaced by an Amel experienced rigger in S france. I'm therefore hopeful it'll be ok for a N atlantic circuit.....

the question in my mind is always the mast fitting side of things.... thats the harder part.
At a push i suppose one could loop a dyneema temporary stay over the opposite spreader if there was a problem with the lower shrouds or attach it to a cotterpin at the mast head?

thanks for all the thoughts - very much appreciated

btw i found these spares onboard -  my lower shroud mast terminals look like the  cup and ball fitting on the right of the attached photo which is new to me. I might see if there are any staylok etc options . . . .
I presume the fitting on the left will make sense once i have climbed to the mast head!

Thanks all!

Fair winds

Miles

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 4:47:09 PM GMT, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Miles,

Dyneema is the way to go for emergency replacement rigging.  It is stronger than you need, you can carry 100 feet of it in a tiny little space (Unlike wire!)  It doesn't care if it sits in water or even oil. Just throw it in the bilge and forget about it until you need it.  It is ridiculously easy to splice, and it is way stronger than you need.

You do need to do some thinking ahead of time about how you would attach it to the mast, spreaders, and chainplates but you can do some very creative things with homemade soft shackles.  It is very rare that a rigging wire fails in the run of the wire, it almost always the terminal hardware that fails so you can not count on having that to attach to.

Size the dyneema not based on strength (that would be too stretchy) but rather on (approximately) matching the stretch of the SS wire it is replacing.  A rough rule of thumb is two times the diameter of the stainless wire.  These guys have a lot of fittings and know-how on dyneema rigging: http://www.colligomarine.com

My old boat (a 40 foot cruising ketch) actually had an all dyneema rig.  People laughed, it is supposed to be a race boat thing, but getting rid of several hundred pounds of weight up high in the rig made a huge difference in the boat's performance to windward.

I am not sure what you mean when you write, "aft lowers seem to take a lot of working on ocean crossings." If you can see them moving around (working?) then they are MUCH too loose.  In a properly tuned rig some of the tension will come off the leeward wires in a stiff breeze, but if they get loose enough they are moving around, that's a problem.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., <smilesbernard@...> wrote :

Hello there

I'd value this groups thoughts on carrying spare rigging on long journeys - to allow for repairs on passage or in remote locations.

What supplies do you carry ?

My 1985 isomat masted (single spreader) maramu is pretty new to me and I've yet to see the masthead and the rigging terminals up there but the aft lowers have a ball and cup system that then locates into he spreader -to- mast attachment. In my experience aft lowers seem to take a lot of working on ocean crossings I was going to see about sourcing a spare to allow basic at sea repairs.

Anyway it'd be great to hear people's approach!

I wonder people dyneema based options for a 'get me home' jury rig and any mast / turnbuckle attachments these require?

All the best

Miles
Maramu 1985