Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Tonnage

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Redouan,

Exactly. Gross and Net tons are calculated figures based on volume and have nothing to do with the vessel's weight.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Nov 29, 2017 02:43, "Rédouan Assar red1assar@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello,

From my humble experience with tonnage calculations when designing and registering fishing vessels I believe the tonnage is linked to the volume of the boat, not its weight and is referring to ancient cargoes of barils or ‘tonneau’ in french.

I recommend that you ask amel as they can easily give you this from the linesplan or you need to spend some time out of the water with a theodolite and pick up the hull lines to calculate the volume. You then use the class formulae to get the tonnage value required by your specific country of registry.

It is interesting that it is required for Sailing boat of this size, usually in Europe it is for commercial vessels above 24m, hence many fishermen asking for 23.95m boats!

Redouan

On 29 Nov 2017, at 08:42, seagasm@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Don't get confused with Tonnes (metric) and Tons (imperial). Tonne is an alternate spelling used to describe a metric ton. It is almost never used in American English, but it is widely used outside of the United States. Again, a tonne, also known as a metric ton, is a unit of measurement equal to 1,000 kilograms. A tonne is larger than a U.S. ton.

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM # 171