Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Solar Panel Location

Mark Erdos

We purchased the arch based on a recommendation from Pat (SM Shenanigans). We love it. The specs can be found on AtlanticArch web site. They have pictures of Pat’s Amel featured there. We purchased their heavy duty model with davits and solar mount kit.

We installed 2  LG315 panels https://www.emarineinc.com/LG-315W-Solar-Panel-Fixed-Frame

We also installed the davits. However, we do NOT use the davits for bluewater sailing. We stow the dink on the aft cabin coachtop when offshore. We will sail with the dink on the davits only when in protected waters or for lifting it at night. The arch easily supports the Highfield310 with 15hp motor. About 200 lbs.

We installed a padeye on the transom and added cables to prevent side to side sway of the arch. I put pelican hooks on the cables so we can quickly unfasten when not using the dink on the arch. You will need some type of sway protection.

If you are in Greece consider a trip to Turkey and have Emek install one of Riza’s arches.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising – St. Lucia, the crime island

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:20 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Solar Panel Location

Hi Mark,

That's a really neat solution.

1. Do you have the specifications of this arch  or can they be found at Atlantic ( whose own photos of an Amel are terrible--taken at sunset )
  2. What size panels did you fit ?
  3. Do you also use the arch as davits and if so can you say what your experience is ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM302, Greece

Sent: 30 November 2017 14:14:59
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Solar Panel Location

Cream Puff with an Atlantic Arch and new solar: http://www.creampuff.us/2016/08/free-solar-energy/

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising – St. Lucia, the crime island

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Solar Panel Location

Mark, I met with them at the Annapolis show and spoke with them once or twice when ordering and they were fine , helpful.  They now have sold several to Amel owners and know which one to sell you. It comes in a box and is easy to assemble / install , I think total time start to finish was maybe eight hours . Would have been a little less , but I chose to several inches off the tubes to lessen the height . I built my own solar frame and installed three panels , they are out of the way and are never in a shadow . I incorporated davits into my S.S. frame and it has been great to haul the dinghy for trips between the islands.

Good Luck,

Pat SM #123

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Wed, Nov 29, 2017 9:33 am
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Solar Panel Location

Hello All,

I am considering adding solar to our SM and would like to know where members of the group have placed their panels and how they feel about their choice.  Ours does not currently have an arch, but we are willing to add one should that be the best location.  It looks like at least a few in the group have nice, clean installations using Atlantic Towers, and any feedback about their product and working with them would be appreciated.

Mark
SM #391
Ft. Lauderdale

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.