Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Helm cover

Ron Hynes <riffhynes@...>

Some years ago after the horrendous hurricane seasons of 2005-6 in Florida and elsewhere, discovery during a lawsuit involving a major insurer uncovered a voluminous report from one of the major management consulting firms (Peat, Marwick...if memory serves), that essentially recommended, “deny, deny, deny” as a successful tactic to minimize loses. This same report, almost verbatim, was disclosed in another lawsuit with another major insurer later in the year. Sad but true...you never know how good (or bad) your insurer is until you need it!

I’ve had Pantaenius for a couple of years and had my first claim in more than 40 years of boating resolved painlessly to my satisfaction. Of course, they might drop me on renewal and I won’t be surprised.

Similar to Alex, I was rammed in a marina in Norfolk about 15 years ago. The vessel causing the accident was insured by a company whose major business was insuring motorcycles. After months of negotiating and justifying my damages, my insurer stepped up and made me whole. They went to litigation over the incident and I never learned how it was settled, but my insurer dropped me under the pretense that I had placed my vessel in a vulnerable location in the marina.  Against tide and wind.  After striking me, he t-boned a ninety footer on the opposite side of the marina. I always wondered if his insurer though he was also in a vulnerable location!

Ron Hynes
954.319.0944

On Nov 22, 2017, at 3:56 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Pat,

In Nassau, my insurance (Helvetia) agreed I was at zero fault, but since the opposite insurance (Pantaenius) only accepted 50% responsibility, Helvetia said it is not worth the expense to hire a lawyer… (of course, not their money).
We argued for 8 months until I gave up and accepted 50% responsibility.

Repair work had not started that my insurance went up 15%… (because I have a claim now).

Also every time I got a quote, Helvetia said it was too expensive, that I had to look for a new one, etc. that took 7 months (2 months in Nassau) and 5 months in Florida.
It took them 3 months to find someone who charged almost the same amount, but had to go up the river, etc. I end up paying the guy myself.

Then 3.5 years later, I was paid $7000 am still being own $3000.

I have heard good reviews for Pantaenius and was considering to change.
I caution everyone who subscribe their insurance through De Lassee or using Helvetia to rethink their policy.
Rafael is also insured with Helvetia, I urge him to hire a lawyer, because they started doing the same thing with him.

Sincerely, Alexandre.

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Helm cover
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 7:01 AM

Alex, I
had forgotten it was your boat that was hit in Nassau , I
remember how long that took to to resolve , if it was
resolved. You have had more than your share of damage and
hassles with insurance/repairs . I have Pantaenius and
without a question , they replaced every piece of
electronics on my boat ($58,000) total , all new and better
equipment , with no cost to me. So I can't bring
pressure , but if you are not treated fairly , I would urge
owners insured with your company  to cancel their policies
and sight your treatment for their cancellation .
Stay Strong,

Pat

SM Shenanigans

-----Original
Message-----

From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>

Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 4:01 PM

Alex,

Keep me posted on the cover , being in water should not
have

hurt it much. Sorry your insurance co. is making things

worse for you , as though lack of maintenance would have

been a contributing factor in face of 200 mile winds.

Good Luck,

Pat

-----Original

Message-----

From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...

[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>

To: amelyachtowners

<amelyachtowners@...>

Sent: Tue, Nov 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Hello Pat,

Been so busy I haven’t read many of the forum message
for

the last 9 days.

But just read this one out of the blue.

I don’t think I removed it from the vessel.

I think know where it is (in the life raft storage).

Once the vessel is raised (2 weeks?) I will remove it
and

see if it is ok.

But I did save the cockpit extension.

General information, as it might take me another week to

have time to read the forum message. So if meanwhile you

need to contact me, please email me directly to uster@...

I just spent 55 hours searching and organizing all the

invoices I could found on the maintenance I did for the
last

5 years.

My lawyers are pretty happy with the work (I don’t
think

the insurance will be).

I still have a lot to do this week.

Then will be back making the inventory.

When things calm down, I will give a full detail report
on

the forum.

Many of you will be VERY surprised and people insured

through De Lassee should search for other insurances.

wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Helm cover

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 2:53 PM

Alex, Do

you have the vinyl helm cover for sale. My wife threw

ours

away a couple years ago, can't tell you why ,

neither

can she. I was hoping to find one to borrow and use as

template. I hope things are getting much better for you

,you've been thru Hell .

Thanks,

Pat

SM Shenanigans