Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Diaphragm Bilge Pump failure.

James Alton

Bill,

I have had very good luck with the Sealand T-series pumps on customer boats for more than 20 years.  As Bill says these things will pump just about anything and survive.  I have even accidentally pumped small rocks through one without any damage.   They are designed to pull a significant vacuum so can deal with gooey pickup issues that a lesser pump cannot handle.  I did not realize that these were now available on Amazon, thanks for the link.

James
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Nov 30, 2017, at 2:15 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I used one of those Jabsco diaphragm pumps as a shower sump discharge.  I think it lasted about a year.  Sealand makes a pump that is much more robust than anything from Jabsco.  The T-series discharge pump is likely the one you would want.  Like this:

http://amzn.to/2jzkzTD

Technically, they are bellows pumps, not diaphragm pumps, and that is a good thing.  No diaphragm to tear or wear.  It is sometimes described as a "macerator" pump, but it is not, it does not need to be, it pumps all kinds of lumps and chunks without needing to chop it up.

I used one of these for 15 years as part of my Vacuflush toilet in daily use.  Changing the check valves occasionally was the only maintenance ever required.  The check valves are the same kind of joker valve used in toilets.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

My boat has a Jabsco Model 59090-0012 Diaphragm pump that has failed.  The pump is no longer manufactured.  Parts may be difficult to find.  Can anyone recommend a replacement diaphragm pump?

James Sterling