Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Manual mainsail furler

Stephen Davis

Hi Pat,

Just remove the 4 screws, and work the black piece out (not difficult). The gears inside will now be exposed. It should be full of grease, but likely due to water intrusion, it will be a soupy mess. Clean it all out, and repack with grease. Around the metal part the winch handle goes in is a lip seal. That is what is allowing grease out, and it needs to be replaced. Sorry...don't know the correct size.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Panama awaiting Canal transit.

On Dec 5, 2017, at 08:25, sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

A couple of months ago , I could not unfurl the main . I dropped the motor and could not unfurl it manually. I move the winch handle back and forth and after a couple of minutes I succeeded  to get the furler to move. I have noticed for years oil or grease oozing from where the winch handle is placed. Can that unit be accessed to clean and grease the gears? Is there a seal to be replaced to prevent the oil/grease from escaping ? I did put a grease fitting in it years ago , but have not added grease  for a few years.

Thanks,

Pat SM#123