Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries

Mark Pitt

Hi Paul,

   You should check very carefully into the reputation of Smart Battery.  Sailing friends of mine paid thousands of dollars for batteries from Smart Battery and did not receive any product nor any refund.  If you check online, you will find that many sailors have had a very bad experience with this company.

   Mark

   Sabbatical III, SM#419

On 12/9/2017 12:45 PM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

We need new batteries in our SM, the last (sealed) batteries lasted less than 2 ½ year (No we never run them below 70% and often charge them close to 100% most days as we have 850 w of solar power so they have not been miss treated).

 I’m thinking on the FireFly OASIS AGM batteries, if half what the producer says is true they should be an excellent choice. They are rather expensive 486 $ plus tax and freight for a group 31 typ.

Has anyone any experience with them?

Another option is LiFePO4 batteries I found from Smart Battery 100 Ah group 31 for 1300 $

4 of them would give  more usable capacity at a cost of  5200 $ compare with 3900 $.

The Smart Battery come with 5 year’s replacement warranty and a pro rata life time warranty. They claim you can use your standard chargers, so no other investment needed.

But I assume with the strong focus on electric cars the development of batteries will be huge the coming years, so maybe better to wait to install LiFePO4 batteries until next time.

Paul on SY Keepa SM 259