Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Batteries

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill,
I bought my two chargers 100 amp and 50 amp from the manufacturers in France in 2012 after my electronics were wiped put in an electrical surge in a thunder storm in Fiji We weren't hit, just a surge. They replaced those that were on board when we bought the boat in 2008. They also had the desulphation program. When I go to the boat next I will photograph the page in the handbook.
Regards
Dsnny

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 12 Dec 2017 08:23, "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Danny,

Which model Dolphin charger do you have?  I can't find any mention of a desulphating program on their current website.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., <simms@...> wrote :

Hi Mark,

Those batteries were 12 six volt golf cart type bought from West Marine in Newport Rhode Island. After 4 years I was on the point of replacing them when through the input of another cruiser I found my dolphin desulphation program. When sulphates build up on the plates the charge has to be "pushed" through this layer, the thicker it is the more resistance there is. What you will notice is that when charging they come up to "full " charge quickly, but then don't hold the charge. This is because the charge did not make it fully into the plates. There is nothing wrong with the plates, the charge just didn't get in there.

So how often did I desulphate? When I noticed this effect becoming prominent.

I do believe the solar panels and the wind generator are a big part of getting a long life. I have talked to cruisers who have got 10 years plus from lead acid by using desulphation so perhaps rather than searching for the "right" battery the answer is to have chargers that provide an effective desulphation program, and apply it correctly. Maintenance. Keep them well watered all the time and keep terminals and connections clean and making good contact.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl