Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Viewing Amel 54 - what to look for?

Dean Gillies

Hi Scott,
I would also recommend Olivier for the survey. He surveyed our 54 in August 17 and we were very satisfied with his service.
We also dealt with broker Michel Charpentier, and he was great too.

I don't believe you will find a better long distance short-handed cruising yacht design than the Amel. I particularly like the 54.

I'm a relative newbie to Amel and others on this forum may know about 'generic' issues to look for, but for your reference we found the following issues with our 2010 model.

Air-con cooling water pump intermittently did not start.

Lopo bow light and tricolour did not work. Replacements provided by Lopo free-of-charge.

Engine start battery was outgassing when charged. You must look carefully in the battery compartment for signs of corrosion etc caused by outgassing. There is a very large battery/charging capacity on these boats and it must be managed properly. It's easy to damage the batteries.

We also have a noisy (but working) staysail furling motor. I will need to replace it in the near future.

As noted by others, you should be looking to see a well-loved and regularly maintained boat. This should be fairly obvious to you on close inspection.

If it looks good to you then your surveyor will make sure all the details are checked.

We bought our 54 in August in Italy, and we are extremely happy with the boat.

Good luck
Dean
SY Stella
Amel 54 #154