Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel Santorin Propeller Question

Porter McRoberts

I just was plagued by the exact scenario.
Make sure the transmission fluid dipstick has an excellent seal.
And my issue: i had changed the filter and thought i’d seated the filter cap well, but hadn’t.  a small vacuum leak occurred once pressure built and then over time the pressure would drop, thered be mechanical uncoupling sand slipping of the transmission and also the brake caliper would gradually close onto the rotor.

Hope this helps.  Have the transmission pressure tested—at the time of the failure, as it would be normal during functional operation.

Porter McRoberts
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Ft. Lauderdale
www.fouribis.com
portermcroberts@...

On Dec 16, 2017, at 5:53 PM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Lisa,

  I am just guessing but it is possible that the transmission on the engine is beginning to slip.  How does the transmission oil look?   Also is the transmission running hot when this problem occurs?   The transmission would see increased loading during wind/ waves and might not slip at lower power settings so if it is getting weak this is when the problem would tend to show itself.   If the transmission is slipping a lot it might be possible to see if the output shaft from the transmission is increasing in RPM as it should as the throttle is advanced during a period when you seem to be losing thrust.  Again just totally guessing but I have experienced a slipping transmission on one boat and it behaved a bit like this.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Dec 16, 2017, at 6:24 PM, lisallt2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Craig. We’ve been investigating all day. Nothing on the prop and it looks good and clean. No black smoke or any other symptoms coming from the engine. The prop spins while we are looking at it but after a few hours of motoring, does not seem to be able to handle going into any wind or waves. Wondering if it may be a gearbox oil issue? That maybe it shuts down as it heats up? Baffled at the moment.
Thanks for the response!
Lisa