Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel Santorin Propeller Question

James Alton

Herbert,

   I agree with you and Bill that ATF fluids are becoming a bit confusing.  Just to add a bit more information or possibly confusion...  FoleyEngines who sells new and rebuilt Hurth transmissions is recommending the use of a synthetic ATF fluid such as the Mobil 1 or Red Line which I have not used before.    Foley also btw manufactures a stainless cooler to replace the original aluminum one that seems to corrode a bit too fast.  The stainless unit is supposed to be much larger than the aluminum which is perhaps needed since stainless is not as conductive as the aluminum.   If interested, the Foley information is available at:  https://www.foleyengines.com/products/marine-transmissions/.  I do not have any affiliation with Foley but I am planning to order one of the SS coolers.

James
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Dec 17, 2017, at 5:33 PM, herbert@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

my Hurth repair manual explicitely says ATF Type A, so I tried to find out what would be the best to replace Type A (I will run out of stock soon). I made some research and found out that this topic is heavily discussed by some gurus...   I found a recommendation for Dexron 2 Type D that would replace it for the Hurth gearbox (in moderate climate).

On the other hand, Dexron should be "downward compatible", but there seem to be some problems with sealings when higher Dexron numbers are used...

I will switch to Dexron II type D when my Type A stock is gone :-)

herbert
SN120