Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster stuck

David Miller <windmillerii@...>

I had SM # 325 and had the exact same problem !
I now have an Amel 54 Windmiller II.
I will be sailing in the Med Red Ralley departing 1st May from Finike.
Now to your BIG Problem
Before I did what you may have to do. Amel told me to disconnect the motor from the cables and drop it. Good Luck ! I did this many times with no success.
This is Probably what you should do:
You will have to separate the plastic shaft tube from the motor and metal shaft. This you will acheive by going into the gear box behind the propellor. You will have to take apart all the gear mechanizem & propellor.
Unscrew the metal shaft from the gear mechanizem. This will separate the motor and metal shaft from the plastic shaft tube.
Once you have this separation you can take the electric motor and metal shaft up and out the forward hatch.
Take to a workshop and disasseble motor to bear minimum.
With two burners, heat up the female part of the connection between shaft and motor, after much hammering it will come loose. While doing this I put the coil in bucket of water so that coils of motor want get damaged from the heat and the shaft was held in a vise.
This is going to be a good oppertunity to change all the bearings and seals, inspect gear mechanisem.
After I found water in the bottom of the motor casing, I drilled four holes in the bottom of the motor casing to allow water to exit. (I thought it was good idea but not sure)

If you have any questions, I'm in Israel +972 544 700313

Good Luck
David Miller

Ed Steele <edmundsteele@earthlink.net> wrote:
I have just returned to SV DoodleBug SM #331 which is currently "on the
hard" at Marmaris, Turkey. I attempted to perform a routine 24 month service
on the bow-thruster in order to replace the seals and oil. I removed the
band that prevents the retaining screws from being removed and then removed
all four of the 6mm Allen headed retaining bolts. The bow thruster leg will
not drop from the drive motor. By looking through the retaining bolt holes,
I can see that the shaft body has dropped several mm. from the motor housing
and is now stuck. I have sprayed WD40 oil through the bolt holes but I
believe that the "foot" drive shaft is stuck to the motor drive shaft -
probably by corrosion. I have tried lowering the unit and running the
propeller in both directions and have also tried placing a block of wood
inside the propeller housing and then raising the unit. So far nothing has
worked.

My questions are:
1) Is there anything I have forgotten to unbolt that is holding the
bowthruster foot to the motor?
2) If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can separate these
units so that I can complete the service?

doodlebug@gmn-usa.com