Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Perkins M 4.154 repairs

christian alby <calbyy@...>

James
will do an update when returning to home port in 2019
Just to complete results of trial run, oïl pressure went down to 1 bar at 700 rpm after 3 hrs running (cooling maintained at 70°C).
Engine purring nicely, no leaks.
I book it to the ol pump condition (scored  innards).
Added Wynn's Supercharge to thicken oïl & oïl pressure went up to 1.2 bar at 700 Rpm; much better but temporary solution.
Thinking of adding one oïl pump piggy-back on engine (oïl cooling hoses) either driven by pulley or electric. Will pursue.

Fair winds

christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - SC de Tenerife

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80

Le ‎mercredi‎ ‎20‎ ‎décembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎18‎:‎26‎ ‎GMT, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] a écrit :

christian alby,

    Thanks for taking the time to update us on your freshly rebuilt 4-154 along with verifying the cause of the failure.  I hope that the engine provides you many years of good service.  If not too much trouble, could you do another update in 1-2 years on how the engine has held up?

Thanks,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Dec 20, 2017, at 4:54 AM, calbyy@yahoo..fr [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks to all Amel sailors who assisted me find parts for my 1982 Perkins M 4.154.
Engine is rebuilt now with new pistons, liners, bearings ... Including a brand new starter to replace the one burnt by the workshop electrician who tried to run faster by hooking my 'old faithfull' 12 volts starter on 2 batteries in series at 24 Volts !
Engine on board 19/12; hooked up & running same day at 17:00 (lost time on drive end bolts offset by 1/4 turn - lift engine & rotate whell -, then oïl cooler hoses inverted, no return = no oïl on pressure gauge).

the cause of the fault was definetly the diesel lift pump diaphragm; 63 US$ Worth of spare, Worth changing on engines which did not run for over a year or so. Check them often.

Otherwise I can only recommend UK & USA suppliers who responded & supplied replacement parts; And Tenerife workshop 'Precision T.' who did a perfect job on the mechanical part; Just keep electricians away from our installations, not their best show of experience.

We shall sail away on 24/12 to continue our round trip of South Atlantic.

fair winds to all

christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 1982 now (not for long) in SC de Tenerife