Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Auxiliary fuel tanks

Patrick McAneny

Bill , I also have a list to port of maybe one or two degrees ,I can see ,feel it , I could never figure why. Amel would have certainly balanced things out in the design . While you have the generator to port , you have a fuel and batteries to starboard . I was concerned that some how my particular boat was mis formed , or my mast not centered , I took measurements . Do you think our boats came out of the factory with a list or is there another explanation.
Merry Christmas to all,
Pat SM#123

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Fri, Dec 22, 2017 12:29 am
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Auxiliary fuel tanks

Tom,

300 liters of diesel would weigh about 640 lbs, Thirteen G31 batteries at about 75 lbs per would weigh between 900 and 1000 lbs.

Just another data point for you as you decide what to do...

I get the distinct impression I am a minority on this, but I personally would skip this project--unless you motor a lot. A Super Maramu has a range with the installed tanks of about 1000 miles.  Much more twice than my previous boat and I never felt the need for more fuel in that one.  I don't think I have ever motor-sailed our Amel, but others seem to do this quite a bit. We c ruise full time, and buy fuel about four times a year.  For us, cutting out one fuel stop every 12 months just doesn't come close to justifying the project.

The liferaft locker does double duty on our boat, holding the raft and other things. I would need to make space in other places for them, and it's not worth it to me.  Also, we have the older boat with only 9 batteries, so we start out with a list to port from the weight of the generator on that side. I consider that list important, but maybe that's because I would rather sail in 4 or 5 knots of wind than listen to the motor...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie

---In amelyachtowners@..., &l t;kimberlite@...> wrote :

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of thomas.kleman
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:31 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Auxiliary fuel tanks

Hey Eric- I've been toying around with the idea of repurposing the life-raft locker in this way. One non-scientific data point that has given me pause is that when I last changed batteries, I had all 13 DT-31 batteries on the port side of my boat outside the cockpit waiting to be taken off. I noticed (or at least I perceived) a slight list of my boat to port. I wondered if 300 liters of fuel in the locker would create a similar issue. Have you noticed this ? Confession- I've done no calculations relating to the relative weights, the position of those weights, etc............one of those possible boat projects that sits idling in front of the first speed bump it encounters.

Tom Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K #422
Currently in Antigua 

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.