From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:34 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Nauta tank installation.

It seems their is no correct answer to how much fuel to carry. Like many here have voiced, I hate to motor and love to sail. With that said, every passage has its own challenges, and most of us would rather be prepared for any eventuality. The one thing I’m not prepared to do is roll around for weeks in the ITCZ while waiting for wind, as I’d prefer to quickly get to the wind, and then enjoy a great sail to our destination.

We will be departing Panama in a couple of weeks, and embarking on a nearly 5000 nm journey to Hawaii. We tried to find a longer distance between 2 points of land, but this was the best we could do for now. If you have never looked at this route, it poses some unique problems in the first 1500+ miles. You have to deal with the ITCZ and some other phenomena which can create a huge area of little or no wind before you get to the area of NE trades which will carry you swiftly to Hawaii. I’ve  spoke to one sailor who took 48 days enroute on his Hans Christian 43. We hope to make the trip in 28 to 30 days with our swift SM, and some extra fuel in case I can’t find a way to keep us in some wind early on. In our case we will use a 37 gallon Nauta bladder secured just behind the fuel cap on the aft deck, and 5 twenty liter jerry cans in the life raft locker.  We have a valise life raft which lives on the floor at the nav station when on passage.

We have never carried extra diesel on any passage prior to this, but it seemed  smart this time, and we are happy with the choice. Happy to hear what the rest of you think. Should we take less or more extra diesel?  How about you Bill K...would you take any extra?

If any one is interested in tracking our progress, you see where we are at http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Aloha      We expect to depart from the Las Perlas Islands on 8 January, or slightly thereafter. Also, if anyone is planning a trip to Hawaii, we would love to meet you, and will also be serving as the Ocean Cruising Club Port Captain for Hawaii for the year in the islands prior to moving on to the South Pacific.

Seasons Greetings,

Steve and Liz Davis

Aloha SM72

Shelter Bay, Panama

On Dec 24, 2017, at 11:56, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am sure that there is a lot of experience in this Group that the "new-to-Amel" Super Maramus and 54 owners would like to hear regarding onboard fuel. When I was new to this Group, I could not get experienced answers on how much is enough fuel.

I bought 10 each 18.9 liter jerry jugs and filled them for each ocean crossing. They added about 300nm to my about 1,000nm range on the Super Maramu (600 liter tank). BTW, the 54 fuel tank is 900 liters and should provide a minimum of 1,300 miles while motoring without carrying extra fuel.

My experience around the world is that we never touched the 10 jugs (189 extra liters) and the most that we used on any passage was 400 liters in an isolated case with almost no wind between Panama and the Galapagos. Had we been more experienced, we may have picked a better departure date. During our two 3,000 passages we used about 250 liters each.

I hope this helps you make your plans.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy