Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bilge maintenance

Hi Gang,

The main ingredient to keeping your AMEL sweet smelling is not to let any”ingredient” go down the galley sinks.

You must become a fanatic of food remains removal from all dishes to be washed.  My 30 year old boat (almost) is always sweet smelling because I am a food waste nazi.. never any bit of food waste in the sinks.

I clean out my bilges by adding a small quantity of bleach to a white wash during washing machine operation.  I also only use liquid shower gels.

“Cleanliness is next to Godliness”….

Merry Christmas

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM007,
Panama

On 25 Dec 2017, at 12:22, 'dancarlson367@...' dancarlson367@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,  reviewing this past thread on bilge maintenance.

I am wondering if anyone has tried one of the enzymatic drain maintenance products?

My dad used to be a big fan of one of these products at his home, but I did not experiment with it much.  I believe it is supposed to be friendly to plumbing.

Always looking for ideas to extend the grey water sump/bilge cleaning cycle.

Thanks and regards, Dan Carlson, SM #387, sv BeBe .

Hi everyone.  I have put into the bilge one waterglass of vinegar per week recently.  It has definitely reduced the smell in the engine room and there is no appreciable smell anymore in the cabins.  So this seems the way to go although I suspect I have to increase the dosage if the outside temperatures are in the 30s vs the low 20s now.  Many thanks again everyone for the great help!  Joerg

Joerg Esdorn
Kincsem
Amel 55 no. 53
Currently in Zakinthos, Greece