Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Nauta tank installation.



I would not carry extra fuel for the trip you describe. With modern weather forecasts and routing there is no reason you should need to motor for a thousand miles on this trip, even if you are impatient. Having said that, you might need to wait for two weeks or more in Panama for the weather forecast to be suitable for a departure.  If you need to get underway on a schedule, you might need more fuel.

I haven't done the Panama to Hawaii trip (next year!) but I have done San Diego to Hawaii, and Hawaii to San Francisco and burned nothing--other than for harbor maneuvering.  We did sit becalmed and rolling for most of 24 hours in between the coastal winds and the trades on the way west.  I think that day we covered 10 miles...

One of the interesting exercises I do when running my weather routing is to run it with and without the option of motoring turned on. I seem to always find it makes a lot less difference in final arrival time than I expect.

There are times when I might pile on extra fuel.  If I was spending a lot of time in a place where fuel was either not conveniently available, or insanely expensive, or if I was going to be doing a lot of fishing (that's when we do burn much of our dinosaur juice).

Bill Kinney
SM160,  Harmonie
Key West, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., <flyboyscd@...> wrote :

It seems their is no correct answer to how much fuel to carry. Like many here have voiced, I hate to motor and love to sail. With that said, every passage has its own challenges, and most of us would rather be prepared for any eventuality. The one thing I’m not prepared to do is roll around for weeks in the ITCZ while waiting for wind, as I’d prefer to quickly get to the wind, and then enjoy a great sail to our destination. 

We will be departing Panama in a couple of weeks, and embarking on a nearly 5000 nm journey to Hawaii. We tried to find a longer distance between 2 points of land, but this was the best we could do for now. If you have never looked at this route, it poses some unique problems in the first 1500+ miles. You have to deal with the ITCZ and some other phenomena which can create a huge area of little or no wind before you get to the area of NE trades which will carry you swiftly to Hawaii. I’ve  spoke to one sailor who took 48 days enroute on his Hans Christian 43. We hope to make the trip in 28 to 30 days with our swift SM, and some extra fuel in case I can’t find a way to keep us in some wind early on. In our case we will use a 37 gallon Nauta bladder secured just behind the fuel cap on the aft deck, and 5 twenty liter jerry cans in the life raft locker.  We have a valise life raft which lives on the floor at the nav station when on passage. 

We have never carried extra diesel on any passage prior to this, but it seemed  smart this time, and we are happy with the choice. Happy to hear what the rest of you think. Should we take less or more extra diesel?  How about you Bill K...would you take any extra?

If any one is interested in tracking our progress, you see where we are at      We expect to depart from the Las Perlas Islands on 8 January, or slightly thereafter. Also, if anyone is planning a trip to Hawaii, we would love to meet you, and will also be serving as the Ocean Cruising Club Port Captain for Hawaii for the year in the islands prior to moving on to the South Pacific. 

Seasons Greetings,

Steve and Liz Davis
Aloha SM72
Shelter Bay, Panama

Join to automatically receive all group messages.