Re: Hurth Transmissions freewheeling folding prop

John Clark

Ian, I agree.  I haven't noticed any great lack of performance, except maybe in very light wind.  We are at hull speed rather easily at 15 kts, at 10 kts we can pretty much hold 5-6 kts at most points of sail.  This is while the shaft alternator is carrying all electrical loads.  We added solar shortly after purchasing the boat and no run the generator for maybe an hour every day in the morning.  If we are not on the boat, I turn off the inverters and the solar array holds the batteries near full charge and keeps the three refrigerator/freezers running.   We could probably not run the generator every day but it makes the morning easier (hot water, coffee, microwave, dish washer...)