From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:05 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SSB Grounding/Earthing

Hello Daniel,

It seems to me that in addition to those little wires you speak of, you need a solid grounding wire between the transceiver and the ground plane connection in the lazarette.

Look at the diagram on page 49 of your manual

Page 51 says :

The transceiver and antenna tuner MUST have an adequate RF ground connection. Otherwise, the overall efficiency of the transceiver and antenna tuner installation will be reduced. Electrolysis, electrical shocks and interference from other equipment could also occur. For best results, use 50 or 75 mm (2 or 3 inches) wide copper strap and make the connection as short as possible. Ground the transceiver and antenna tuner to one ground point, otherwise the voltage difference (in RF level) between 2 ground points may cause electrolysis.

In our SM the yellow/green cable from the lazarette ran all the way to the nav station. When we installed our Icom 710, we disconnected this cable at the nav station and connected it to the transceiver ground....at the other end we cut the cable and connected both ends to the tuner, which is connected to the copper strap in the lazarette.

This is NOT the bonding that the saltwater pumps etc are connected to.

VERY important thing is that you use ISOLATED power to your transceiver because inside the ICOM, the -ve power line is connected to ground.

Your SN is a 12v system I think (?), if so and you have the power directly from the breaker, you need a relay in the 12 v -ve line that disconnects it from the transceiver when the power is off - you need to turn it off at the breaker, not just the transceiver.

If you have 24V then you need an ISOLATED 24-12v converter, or a relay in the 24V-ve feed to your 24-12v converter for the reasons above.

If you don't isolate that -ve power line, it will lead to electrolytic corrosion issues.

Good luck

Happy New Year

Alan

Elyse SM437