Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bilge maintenance

greatketch@...

I agree with the Dessalator rep that RO processing can remove essentially all bacteria and viruses.

The problem is you can only be SURE that it will if you run a bubble point test to make sure there are zero faults in the membranes, seals, and housings. When I used RO membranes in the phamra business to make sterile water we had to test them every membrane change and maintenance cycle.  They did not always pass.

This is why my Dessalator manual recommends adding chlorine to the tank--just in case.

When I have been in crowded harbors with the possibility of sewage contamination there has never been a pressing reason I HAD to run the water maker.  I just wait until I am somewhere safer. We tend not to stay in places like that for very long!  If for some reason I had to make water, I would add chlorine to the tank, and then not worry about it.

My basic rule is: If I would not swim in the water, I don't make drinking water out of it--even if the RO unit SHOULD be able to do it safely. The risk of having a serious problem is very, very small, but it is still one I don't need to take, so why?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Key West, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., <mshirloo@...> wrote :

Hi All;

We also only use desalinated water in the fresh water tank. We empty out completely when we leave her for the winter.

As far as concerns about pollution in the water where we are running the desalinate, I talked to Martin at Dessalator when we initially purchased our 54 to find out exactly where we could use it to have safe fresh water. Martin has been at Dessalator tech department for a long time and is extremely knowledgeable about their systems. He assured me that the unit can be used almost anywhere and that the filtration is so fine that bacteria and even viruses would not go through. He mentioned that we simply clog up the pre-filters quicker by using it in water that has contaminants.

We have used ours in harbors and marinas without any issues. We regularly check the quality of the water and we are usually in the 220 PPM range. I believe the safe water level is 500 PPM. I guess I never asked if it makes a difference what the "parts" are.

Respectfully;
Mohammad Shirloo
323-633-2222 Cell
310-644-0903 Fax