Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bilge maintenance

Thomas Peacock

Aqua Clean tablets do indeed contain chlorine in the form of Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate. This molecule allows for very slow release of chlorine into the water. Free chlorine can indeed be measured in water so treated. It seems to provide fairly good anti-microbial treatment without much chlorine taste, but since free chlorine can be be detected, I would not consider it to be safe for RO membranes. That said, you may get away with it, but I would not consider it to be bullet-proof.

Tom Peacock
SM #240 Aletes
Falmouth Harbour, Antigua

On Dec 28, 2017, at 11:26 AM, 'Miles Bidwell' milesbid@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello all,

To preserve fresh water in the tank, I use a product called “Aqua Clean”.  It is said to kill bad marine organisms and to preserve the water for 6 months.  Best is that it does not contain chlorine and so will not hurt the membranes when you back-flush, and it has no taste.  It is widely available everywhere except in the USA.

Miles  Ladybug, sm 216 , Martinique