Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bad Salt Water Manifold

john martin <symoondog@...>

Erick, Make sure the welder iknows how to weld stainless steel for underwater use. I had one welded up, it looked beautiful. Lasted two months. I took it to a boatyard the next time and they re-welded it. It seems you have to blow air into the pipe at the same time as you weld. This one has been on for two years. John "Moondog" SM248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.comFrom: kimberlite@optonline.netDate: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 04:26:33 +0000Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bad Salt Water Manifold

Has anyone had problems with the salt-water manifold rotting out?This is the manifold that connects to the electric head pumps, the watermaker, the anchor wash, and the A/c pump via the sea strainer.Last week I noticed a small drip from the manifold. I touched it and my finger went right through the A/C tap on the manifold. When I removed the manifold, the A/C tap looked like Swiss cheese. I had to saw off the tap and put a hose and clamps over it to temporarily use the manifold. When I tried to put the manifold back, it snapped off. It appears that the factory soldered a BRASS pipe nipple to the end of the copper manifold. This caused electrolysis and the manifold to fail at the junction where it screws into the ball valve. I am having a new manifold made out of stainless in St Martin. Has anyone else seen such a problem?Fair Winds,EricAmel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite