Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bad Salt Water Manifold

Jose_Luis Isasi <jose.luis.isasi@...>

Hi,

To weld stainless steel you need to use an 'Argon' welder, it welds
in an atmosphere of argon. This gas is blowed by a pipe to the
welding area while it is being welded.

I suppose that a professional should have the skills and the tools to
do it.

Kind regards
Jose-Luis
XALOL (Euros)

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, john martin <symoondog@...>
wrote:

Erick, Make sure the welder iknows how to weld stainless steel for
underwater use. I had one welded up, it looked beautiful. Lasted two
months. I took it to a boatyard the next time and they re-welded it.
It seems you have to blow air into the pipe at the same time as you
weld. This one has been on for two years. John "Moondog" SM248

To: amelyachtowners@...: kimberlite@...: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 04:26:33
+0000Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bad Salt Water Manifold

Has anyone had problems with the salt-water manifold rotting out?
This is the manifold that connects to the electric head pumps, the
watermaker, the anchor wash, and the A/c pump via the sea
strainer.Last week I noticed a small drip from the manifold. I
touched it and my finger went right through the A/C tap on the
manifold. When I removed the manifold, the A/C tap looked like Swiss
cheese. I had to saw off the tap and put a hose and clamps over it to
temporarily use the manifold. When I tried to put the manifold back,
it snapped off. It appears that the factory soldered a BRASS pipe
nipple to the end of the copper manifold. This caused electrolysis
and the manifold to fail at the junction where it screws into the
ball valve. I am having a new manifold made out of stainless in St
Martin. Has anyone else seen such a problem?Fair Winds,EricAmel Super
Maramu #376 Kimberlite

Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live
Messenger.
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?
ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_042008