Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Perkins M 4.154 engine repairs, rescheduling trip

John Clark

I believe there is a spring loaded pressure relief valve that regulates oil pressure.  Similar in purpose as the wastegate on the turbo.  As oil pressure increases and reaches the setpoint the pressure pushes the ball off its seat dumping oil back to the sump.

As others have suggested the previous issues with the motor may have caused other hidden damage.

Here I think the regulator is somehow damaged so that once open it dumps too much oil and stays open until there is no backpressure, ie when motor is stopped.

Not sure on this motor how to access the oil pump (I think this is where to relief valve is located,  but it could be with the oil filter housing.) But it would certianly be less expensive than a new motor.

Regards,  John

SV Annie. SM37
St. Augustine Florida.

On Jan 1, 2018 7:45 PM, "'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi,

If you are planning to cross to Martinique, I would switch to straight 40 weight oil.

When I first received Kimberlite, The factory Yanmar chief mechanic came to replace the turbo. He said to use only straight 40 weight unless you are heading to somewhere very cold.

I think the 40 weight might help the oil pressure a little. However , there is something going on in the bottom end of your engine, either too much tolerance in the main bearings, or a defective oil pump.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376