Inverter Replacement

Ian Shepherd

Crusader is fitted with a Cristec 1600VA 50Hz inverter which has just failed. Having taken it out and examined it briefly, it would seem that there is damage to one of the relays and evidence of burnt tracks on one of the PCB's. Cristec will repair the unit by replacing both the PCB's but to do so will cost around €1050 including shipping. The 1600VA model is no longer available. A 2000VA model costs €1528 plus VAT at 20%.

I shall probably send it back for repair, but before doing so I am wondering if there are any recommendations for a good cheaper alternative? You can get a 2KW inverter for less than $400 on eBay, but I would expect that they might be electrically very noisy and the sine wave not so 'pure' as is claimed, which could cause equipment damage.

Does anyone recommend a cheaper alternative that will not cause interference to laptops, SSB, Navtex etc?

With thanks

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Larnaca Cyprus