Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Inverter Replacement

Ian Shepherd

Hi Jean-Pierre,

I did look. Some say they are re-badged Samlex inverters which have a good name. However, over here they cost the same per watt as Christec so no cost advantage and perhaps a disadvantage in needing different battery cable lengths/fittings. The Cristec repair is looking more attractive.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader

On 03/01/2018 18:46, Jean-Pierre's MacBook Air jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hello Ian,

I installed a Cotek 3KW… Look them up; they have 100% of the Canadian fishing boat fleet.  Turn them on and go…

Very reliable.

Jean-Pierre
SY Eleuthera SM007, Panama

On 3 Jan 2018, at 11:42, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Crusader is fitted with a Cristec 1600VA 50Hz inverter which has just
failed. Having taken it out and examined it briefly, it would seem that
there is damage to one of the relays and evidence of burnt tracks on one
of the PCB's. Cristec will repair the unit by replacing both the PCB's
but to do so will cost around €1050 including shipping. The 1600VA model
is no longer available. A 2000VA model costs €1528 plus VAT at 20%.

I shall probably send it back for repair, but before doing so I am
wondering if there are any recommendations for a good cheaper
alternative? You can get a 2KW inverter for less than $400 on eBay, but
I would expect that they might be electrically very noisy and the sine
wave not so 'pure' as is claimed, which could cause equipment damage.

Does anyone recommend a cheaper alternative that will not cause
interference to laptops, SSB, Navtex etc?

With thanks

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Larnaca Cyprus