Riggers In Trinidad and Martinique

Bill Shaproski <pacificcool@...>

Hi Bill,
Thanks much for taking the time to clarify this issue with rigging pricing.  I compared the two quotes quickly and it is clear that there are more parts included on my quotes than on yours.  There is also an increase in Labor costs of Euros 385 which represents a 14.5% increase.  As you noted he also included Euros 673 in VAT.  Hopefully I'll be able to exclude that from my quote as you suggested.   The difference in parts is Euros 1,445 if my math is correct.

The real difference in the quotes from Trinidad and Martinique is the labor costs which are 127% higher in Martinique.  Gaetan lists 55 hours at Euros 55 per hour and Jason from Trinidad lists cost only with no manhour breakdown.  FYI, the Seattle quote lists 92 manhours at Euros 80/hour ($95/Hour), but he takes the mast down to do the work.  The parts costs are only 23% higher in Martinique which could be attributed to superior parts from Amel or their supplier.  I'll be checking on Friday with Jason from Trinidad on the quality of the parts he supplies.  As one other person pointed out Jason uses the existing turnbuckle body for the the head stay since he cannot source it.

Based on your comments and the comment of others I will probably go with Gaetan to do the re-rigging. It's a little more convenient to do it in Martinique anyway since my sailing plans are a little changed.  Again, I really appreciate your help especially and the help of everyone else who responded to my request for comments.  In retrospect, I should have been using this forum more often over the past 4 years as I circumnavigated.  It's amazing to me how responsive and helpful the Amel owners are.  I can report that every Amel owner I met on my circumnavigation became an immediate friend.

I assume this message will be available to the others who responded to my original message.

A Bientot,
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool