From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 7:34 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Cc: Bill Shaproski​ S/V Pacific Cool
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Riggers In Trinidad and Martinique

Yes, check Douglas Yacht Services for VAT exemption.  I paid about 400 Eur and was VAT exempt for all boat purchases for one year.

John

On Jan 3, 2018 11:53 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

I confirmed your price with Gaetan in Martinique of 11,535 euro, but that includes 673 euro of Martinique VAT. The last time I was in Martinique there was a very simple process for non-EU registered boats to establish exemption from VAT. Hopefully this still exists and your price will be 10,862 euro.

According to Gaetan, the reason I had a different quote is the quote that I had did not include all of the parts. I had already replaced some of the rigging parts on BeBe and he did not include those parts.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 10:48 AM, pacificcool@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I've been in the group a while but don't often access it.  I' finishing up a circumnavigation and planning to replace the rigging on my 1995 Super Maramu.  It looks great to me, but it is 22 years old.  I have three quotes from different riggers in different countries. The costs vary greatly for both labor and parts, but especially labor.  I have included a summary of the quotes below broken down by labor and parts.  All quotes are for 316 stainless steel and includes all turnbuckles and upper eye pieces.  My question to this forum is whether any of you have knowledge of Jason Romell in Trinidad.  I've had good reports on Gaetan of Caraibe Marine  in Martinique who is recommended by the local Amel office.   Romell is recommended by Peake Yachts in Trinidad where my boat is on the hard.  I include these details since it may help other owners thinking of re-rigging.  BTW, one owner noted that he was told by Gaetan that he had never seen an Amel with a failed rig.  I provide the costs in Euros and US Dollars converted at a rate of 1.19 US dollars per Euro.

Quote From

          Euro              Labor

          Euro            Parts

        Euro          Total

    Dollars      Total

Trinidad - Jason Romell

1,513

6,607

8,119

$9662

Martinique - Caraibe Marine

3,429

8,106

11,535

$13,726

Seattle - Northwest Rigging

8,580

9,552

18,132

$21,577

Seattle Higher Than Trinidad By

150%

18%

57%

57%

Martinique Higher Than Trinidad By

127%

23%

42%

42%

NW Higher Than Trinidad By

467%

45%

123%

123%

I am trending toward the less expensive quote from Trinidad contingent on meeting Jason on Friday.  But I'm very tempted to go for the more expensive quote from Martinique given the recommendation form Amel.   Ken Powers had Aquarius rigged in Martinique last year and was quite happy.

Any comments appreciated.  Happy New Year to all!

Bill Shaproski

S/V Pacific Cool

Posted by: pacificcool@...

Reply to sender