Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Anchor locker floor rotten

James Alton

Bill,

   A sealed locker for the stowage of wet chain/rode is a tough place for wood to survive for very long so I think that you are on the right track with removing the organics.  Which foam core material did you decide to use?

    I guess the possibility  exists of a locker lid being damaged or even lost in conditions where the locker could be flooded,  but I suspect that you have already calculated a safe size for your limber holes to prevent flooding the bilge.  Other than this consideration,  I think that limber holes are a good idea.

   Enjoy the Bahamas,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Jan 6, 2018, at 10:41 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I had planned to do our locker floors myself, but my better half convinced me I had better things to do (smart girl!) I was even more appreciative of her advice when watching the guy who did the work climb out of the locker covered with dust after grinding in prep for the  lamination work.

Our plywood floors were replaced by foam core, with glass laminate on both sides.  It will last the life of the hull with never another issue.

We also added permanent limber holes in the floor of the lockers.  I tried really, really hard to think of a good reason to hold water in the lockers and not let it drain to the bilge and I could not come up with a reason why water should pool there and not be pumped overboard.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
North Bimini, Bahamas